Your Essential Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Here in Michigan, we’re known for our beautiful autumns. But, in between apple picking and seeking out the prettiest leaves, don’t forget to give your home a little TLC. By following our fall home maintenance checklist, you’ll know exactly what to do to prepare your home for the cooler months, helping to prevent potential issues down the road.
We recommend marking off these items as you go and rewarding yourself after all of your hard work with a glass of your favorite cider!
Gutters and Downspouts
- After it rains, check your gutters to ensure water is draining properly and not forming pools of standing water.
- Remove leaves and other debris from your gutters to ensure water can flow through them. Sick of cleaning your gutters throughout the year? Consider installing a Gutter Helmet protection system!
- Check your gutters for damage like warping and cracks, which can prevent them from moving water away from your home’s foundation.
- Remove any blockages in your downspouts, like wet leaves.
- Check your gutters for granules from your shingles, which could indicate an issue with your roof.
- Replace the filter in your furnace so it can work properly and keep your home at a comfortable temperature throughout the fall and winter. Looking for a green alternative? Look for foam filters, which you can vacuum to keep clean.
- Schedule a professional checkup for your heating system to see if there are any potential issues that may get more serious in the coming months.
- Check your insulation to make sure it’s not covering the vents to help prevent dangerous ice dams on your roof.
- Remove debris from ridge vents.
- Insulate your pipes to prevent them from freezing and bursting on frigid nights.
- Turn off any valves to outside faucets and open them to drain the line. If you have an in-ground irrigation system, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to prevent it from freezing.
- Drain garden hoses so they don’t freeze.
Chimney and Fireplace
- Check your fireplace for damage and any potential hazards.
- Have a professional check your chimney for creosote buildup and blockages in the flue.
Windows and Doors
- Seal air leaks around your doors and windows with caulk or weatherstripping to prevent cold air from coming into your home.
- Clean window wells in your basement to prevent water damage after a storm.
- Inspect your roof, looking for curled, damaged, or missing shingles.
- Inside your home, check for signs of water damage on your walls or ceiling, which could indicate a leaky roof.
- Start planning home projects. If you’re hosting holiday guests, fall is the perfect time to take care of those home improvement tasks you’ve been putting off like a bathroom or kitchen remodeling project.
Get to Work With This Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
We hope you’ve found helpful! If you’re overwhelmed by everything on it, let us help carry some of the load for you. Our team of gutter experts can inspect and replace your gutters or install a Gutter Helmet protection system to take some of those maintenance tasks off your plate. Contact us today to get started!